Ayurvedic Treatment for Overweight or Obesity
According to Ayurvedic Medicine the human body is body made up three constitutions, which is also called as Basic Humors called Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
Among them Kapha dosha is responsible for overweight and Obesity. In Ayurveda this is consider as “Sthulya”.
For weight reduction one should always look for the diet and lifestyle activities which can able to reduce Kapha. It is better to address the weight loss through Panchakarma methods which will be more beneficial. Ayurveda teaches that the balance of three subtle energies, known as Vata, Pitta and Kapha, maintains health. Kapha is responsible for strength and immunity. It also provides the basic substratum to all the tissues of the body. Biological fire humor or Pitta is responsible for digestion and metabolism and biological air humor or vata is responsible for all the movements- gross and subtle in the body. In order to balance these subtle energies, it is first important to identify the dosha which is in imbalanced, and then accordingly select the Panchakarma therapy to treat the condition from roots.
The general diet composition for reducing Kapha would require the following things
- Small quantities more number of times
- More preference to warm soups (Liquid diet)
- The diet should have an average of 30-40% of whole grains.
- The diet should have an average of 20-30% of proteins deriving from both vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian sources.
- The diet should have an average of 40-50% of fruits and vegetables.
- Diet should contains moderate amount if spices (all spices)
Specific Dietary Recommendations
- For effective Kapha reduction, a person should avoid fatty foods, dairy product, ice creams, etc, Example: you can take soy milk or less quantity of cow’s milk. Mainly, one should avoid taking yoghurt in the night time, but butter milk is advised instead of Yoghurt.
- Red meat should be specifically avoided. (Soup is preferable if you want to take any read meat.
- As for drinks, one should stick to hot drinks rather than cold ones. Different kinds of cold sodas and milk shakes should be swapped with teas or hot water. (Green tea or herbal tea preferable)
- Avoid alcohol.
Other Diet principles
- Extensive uses of spices like ginger, cinnamon, coriander and other hot spices can work well in reducing Kapha, thus, reducing weight. Interestingly, pungent, bitter and astringent tastes in your diet can reduce Kapha to a great extent. Sweet, sour and salty tastes should be avoided by all means.
- Avoid the fruits which are in sweet taste ex: rock melon etc
- The diet should have ample amount of salads, beans, dry cereals and cooked grains. Consumption of foods with Vata and Pitta qualities would effectively increase those doshas in the body and can work a great deal against the increment of Kapha ; weight loss.
- One big meal a day is suggested. Have that meal as either lunch or breakfast, but not for Dinner.
- Warm water with Lemon and salt in the morning will reduce the fat.
- Honey will more useful than sugar.
- Minimum 45 min physical activity is essential. It can be just simple walking or yoga or jogging.
You may ask your personal query to Dr Kumar via Email: email@example.com or by phone 0402 282 745/ 03 9939 9474 or 02 6156 0618 regarding any of your health problems. You will be offered authentic Ayurvedic information and an opinion, as to what best can be done pertaining to your ailment.
By Dr Kumar CRS BAMS (GOLD MEDALLIST), MPH, MHP, Consultant Ayurvedic Physician and Panchakarma Specialist JEEVA HEALTH PTY LTD