Proper diet, meditation and exercise help to prevent mental disorders. Ayurveda has a wide range of techniques and therapies to attain balanced mental health.
Ayurveda talks about ‘Ama’ which infers anything that is not digested properly. Body suffers from constipation, indigestion, diarrhoea and other problems when digestive system doesn’t work well. In the same way, Ama’s role can be explained in terms of mental health as well. In the context of mental health, thoughts play the role food plays for stomach. Positive thoughts are good for mental health; however accumulation of negative emotions and thoughts affect mental well being by clogging thought process. Like undigested food, negative emotions due to some past bad experience stop us from moving on. It affects our comfort level as well as decision making powers. Herbs are used as ayurvedic medicine in ayurvedic treatment enhance mental health by providing nourishment to brain that purifies thought process.
How to determine that one needs ayurvedic medicine/treatment for mental health?
Below are some symptoms that indicate need of ayurvedic treatment
- Persistent feeling of pessimism, helplessness etc.
- No more interest in activities one enjoyed in the past.
- Difficulty in concentrating and decision making
- Fitful sleep and stiff joints etc.
- Obsessive compulsive disorders
- Eating disorders; eating too much or loss of appetite
- Destructive thoughts or fear of losing loved ones.
- Restlessness and irritability
- Frequent mood swings
- Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Regular headaches, irritability or digestive problems.
Ayurvedic treatment and meditation
Meditation is a panacea for all mental disorders. It is the best ayurvedic medicine ever. During meditation both body and mind go into a state which is twice as good as sound sleep. It allows deeply rooted stresses and tensions to release, thereby allowing body and mind to relax. It is recommended to consult a good ayurvedic practitioner for better results.
Click here to know valuable tips on how to cure sleeplessness.